Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ice Castle Adventure

I live in a wintry wasteland...well, maybe to some it's not a wasteland but for me personally, and especially during winter, it is. You see, I live in the part of New York that doesn't exist, the Adirondack Region.

When most people think of New York, they think of the city. Even when folks that live in this area visit the city they say "I'm going to New York". Ironic, I know. So maybe you know of the boroughs, or maybe even Buffalo or Albany and maybe even Saratoga, but very few know of this area. Once the center stage of the Olympics and "The Miracle on Ice" this area has now become run down, destitute even. Abandoned houses, closed businesses....just a mere shell of what it once was.

But today, an old tradition is honored - The Saranac Lake Winter Carnival.


Once Mirror Lake in Saranac Lake is good and frozen over, the preparations begin - they carefully harvest blocks of ice from the Lake and begin to assemble an amazing Ice Castle.

I could go on about the history of it all, but it's been blogged and re-blogged and blogged again so if you're interested in that aspect of this event, I'm confident you will find plenty of information. Today I will just tell you about my experience.
Today was warm. Well, comparatively speaking anyway. A balmy 34 degrees today, much warmer than the 18+ below temperatures we've recently experienced. My mister works in Saranac Lake and thought it would be a good day for me to go into work with him so we could check out the Winter Carnival.

This is an amazing family adventure opportunity. Which is evident by all the families braving the elements. There are events going on round the clock, lumberjack contest, snow mini golf - with a mini golf course constructed from ice and snow, local businesses host events of their own and of course what Winter Carnival would be complete without a King and Queen?

So, should you find yourself lost in the Adirondacks during the dead of winter, perhaps you'll want to experience this for yourself. Bundle up, bring the kids, and enjoy the day.










No comments:

Post a Comment